When the village was incorporated in 1941, community leaders sought to preserve the rural quality. The Village charter states: “It is the purpose and intent of the people of Indian Hill that the character and uses of the area within the Village may not be changed, and it shall continue to be a rural neighborhood.” At that time, former Village solicitor Paul Steer and former Mayor Stanley Rowe initiated a program to acquire property for permanent preservation. The first green area concept was envisioned as a ring of green surrounding the “hill” from which the Village derived its name.
Julius Fleischmann made the first gift of land to the Village in 1946. That gift consisted of 38 acres. Over the next few years, the green belt concept evolved into a vision of green areas. In order to formalize the commitment to conservation, a Forest Preserve and Greenbelt Areas Committee was established in 1954. In 1962 former Mayor Robert Black appointed a committee to administer the lands and renamed the group the Green Areas Advisory Committee. His wife Helen C. Black worked diligently persuading residents to donate parcels to the Green Areas for many years.
The Green Areas Advisory Committee is not a separate entity nor does it have any legally binding authority or powers. It is simply an advisory committee to the Village Council that makes recommendations to the Council for action. All land gifted to the Village is held in and governed by the terms of a land trust known as the Green Areas Trust established by the Village.
The Green Areas Advisory Committee is made up of a chairperson and no more than 17 members. A nominating committee recruits members for approval by and appointment by the Mayor. Each member may serve up to two consecutive three-year terms.
Subcommittees and task forces are created as needed. Currently, the following subcommittees are in place: Education, Acquisitions, Riding Trails and Stewardship.
The Green Areas Advisory Committee proactively solicits donations of land and contributions to its endowment fund. Before accepting gifts of land, the Green Areas Advisory Committee determines whether the gift is acceptable. It offers surveying and deed service to donors.
The Green Areas Advisory Committee believes that educating the public about the value of maintaining open space and natural areas is critical. Several years ago the Green Areas Advisory Committee developed an education/marketing piece for all residents.
The Green Area Advisory Committee publishes articles in the Bulletin, offers education programs, works with the Service Department, reports on the bridle trails, and recognizes donors.
Native and Invasive Plants
Green Areas Advisory Committee Members
Sign Up Below For Email Updates
With a population of around 5,900 people, it is technically a city but its life style over the years has remained constant, that of a quiet residential community. Indian Hill is located in Hamilton County, Ohio, just a few miles northeast of the City of Cincinnati.
6525 Drake Rd,
Cincinnati, OH 45243
(513) 561 - 6500
Copyright © Village of Indian Hill. All rights reserved.